- The date, Nov. 11, was chosen decause it is the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. It was signed into effect by Woodrow Wilson.
- The United States Congress passed a concurrent resolution to create Veterans Day on June 4, 1926.
- The words "Veterans Day" were declared attributive by the U.S. government- meaning no apostrophe is necessary when used as an official title.
-Official, national ceremonies for Veterans Day are centered around the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers.
By the numbers
-In 2008 there were 23.2 million military veterans in the United States.
- 1.8 million veterans are female.
-1.9 million military veterans are under 35.
- 9.2 million veterans are over 65.
- As of 2008 there were 7.9 million Vietnam-era
- Thirty-three percent of all living veterans served served during the Vietnam-era.
- 5.2 million veterans served during the Gulf War.
-2.6 million million veterans served during the World War II.
-2.8 million in the Korean War.
This information was collected from the 2009 Census.