In an effort to preserve the history of Gordon County Fire Department, Georgia Cumberland Academy donated a 1946 open cab fire truck that was used by the dedicated students and faculty who participated in the firefighter program at the school.
This program was the first county-based fire department established in 1965 and continued on at the school for approximately 10 years until Gordon County took over the responsibility of the fire department.
Principal Greg Gerard, Nancy Gerard and the Board of Georgia Cumberland Academy have made it possible for the citizens of Gordon County to be able to appreciate and learn from this important artifact of our history.
The truck is located at the Gordon County Headquarters station on Belwood Road.
The firefighters will start fundraising and restoration on the truck as soon as possible.
If anyone is interested in seeing the fire truck or wants to make a donation toward the restoration please call 706-629-8851 for more information.