The musical history of the two families is a storied one and includes all facets: singing, composing, writing and playing instruments. Also, they cover numerous genres of the music world, from contemporary to jazz to country and all in between.
The program is scheduled for The Harris Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Tickets can be purchased at the arts center at $10 adults and $8 for students and seniors.
The New Harmonies schedule follows:
• Saturday, April 21, 7:30 p.m. India Gaylean and Jule Medders Present the Musical Heritage of the Chitwood and Medders Family. HAC. $10 adults; $8 students and seniors.
• Wednesday, April 25, 3 p.m. Dalton Dulcimers. Chapel, 1st United Methodist Church, Dalton, Ga. Free-will offering. Traditional musicians and music.
• Friday & Saturday, April 27–28, 7:30 p.m. Community Chorus, “Show Business.” HAC. $15 general public, $12 HAC members.
• Sunday, April 29, 3 p.m. How Many In Your Quartet? HAC. $5. Barbershop Quartet singing by award-winning Gordon Central High School quartet and others.
• May 5, 10 a.m.–2:30 p.m. Shape Note Singing. Harmony Primitive Baptist Church. Free-will offering. Singing with dinner on the grounds.
• Friday, May 11, 7:30 p.m. Georgia String Band Festival. Performance and conversation featuring local music heritage, with Mick Kinney and Frank Lee. HAC. Free.
• Saturday, May 12, noon till ?. Georgia String Band Festival. Northwest Georgia Fairgrounds. $10. String band, fiddle, banjo, and buck dancing contests; jamming at the fairgrounds; concessions.
• Saturday, May 12, all day. 50th Anniversary Celebration, Founding of New Echota State Historic Site. New Echota. $6.50, $4.50 Barbara McAllister, sponsored by New Harmonies, will sing in English and Cherokee.
• Wednesday, May 16, noon. Lunch and Learn. Bartow History Museum, Cartersville, Ga. $5.50, $4.50, free to members. Laney House with a musical timeline of the career of Clayton McMichen (1900–1970), award-winning fiddler and entertainer.
• Saturday, May 19, 1–3:30 p.m. United Shape Note Singers Allen Chapel AME Church. Free-will offering. Traditional seven-note singing.
More events coming to the Harris Arts Center
April 30, May 1, 2, 5:30 p.m. Calhoun’s Got Talent Auditions, age 16 & up
May 5, 2–5:30 p.m. Mystery Writers’ Workshop with Fran Stewart, $40.10 a.m.–noon, book signing
May 5–June 9, Saturdays, 10 a.m.–noon. Lyle Currier Photography Class, age 14 and up. $75/$60
May 29–July 5. Four Female Friends Art Show; reception June 3, 2–4 p.m.
June 11–16. Missoula Children’s Theater Camp. Grades 1–12. $90/$75
June 18–12.Children’s Art Camp, age 7–13. $90/$75. 9–11:30 a.m. or 1–3:30 p.m.
June 18–22. Wheel Throwing Camp, age 13 and up. $125/$110. 1–2:30 p.m.
July 10–August 16. Regional Art Show; reception July 15, 2–4 p.m.
July 21, July 28, August 4, 7 p.m. Calhoun’s Got Talent. $15 general admission