* For cancer patients and their families, a cancer diagnosis is devastating. Oftentimes, it helps to talk with individuals going through some of the same issues that you are. That’s why the Gordon Cancer Resource Center at Gordon Hospital is hosting a cancer support group on Wednesday, June 15 at 1 p.m. in the Resource Center. Chaplain Dave Smith with facilitate the group, but the program is truly driven by those in attendance and what they want to share or talk about. A light lunch will be served to all those in attendance. The event and lunch are free, but registration is required. Please call 706-602-7800, ext. 2305 to register.
* Wednesdays at 7 p.m., World Harvest Church has a 12-step Christian recovery ministry. This is a Christ-centered, co-ed support group that uses small group interaction, scripture and 12-step principles for those familiar with the bondage and destruction of addiction. Classes for all age groups; child care available. You can contact the church at 706-602-1919.
* The Harris Arts Center offers Stretch and Breathe yoga Wednesday, June 15, from 6 to 7 p.m. The class takes place in the upstairs community room and is for those with some degree of flexibility. The emphasis is on core strengthening, increased flexibility and proper breathing for health. The Yin and Yang yoga, Hatha flow and Kundalini philosophy are taught during class. The cost is an $8 donation per class. For more information, call Rhonda Shannon, yoga and meditation instructor, at 404-310-6967.
* Gordon County Park & Recreation announces the opening of Salacoa Creek Park camping, fishing, and boat rentals. The season runs through the first weekend in November. The hours of operation will be from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. daily. Fishing fees are $3 for adults, $2 for students and 5 & under is admitted for free. Please call 706-629-3490 for reservations and more information.
* Gordon County Parks and Recreation would like to invite you to take part in our fitness program. All classes are held at the Sonoraville Recreation Complex in the Fitness Center and are held on a continuous, month to month basis. Butt and Gut Class - Wednesday, 5-6 p.m. Instructor: Petrina Pritchett.Fee Structure: Memberships are $20 per month to access all aerobic classes. Use of the weight room is $20 per month. To use weight room and access all aerobic classes the cost is $30 per month. No contract; paid on a month to month basis.